Happy Pride Month 2020! While Pride parades have been cancelled, there is no shortage of socially distanced rainbow celebrations. For the first time in history, there will be a global 24-hour virtual Pride, bringing together LGBTQIA+ people from around the world.
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the LGBTQIA+ community is unique: for many, the unknown aspects echo the AIDS Crisis. It is expected that COVID-19 will more harshly impact LGBTQIA+ people, due in part to major gaps in workplace healthcare coverage. According to the Human Rights Campaign, 17% of LGBTQIA+ adults and 22% of transgender adults do not have health insurance. Many companies’ health insurance plans still do not cover same-sex partners.
Many people and companies are rethinking how to best support their employees during this pandemic. This is the perfect chance to move on from marching in a Pride parade to instead doing something truly impactful for the LGBTQIA+ community through this crisis and into the future. At ACCP, we celebrate pride all year long with our Member LGBTQIA+ Community.
Here are five easy actions you can take to ensure your company is supporting LGBTQIA+ employees today and every day of the year!
- Advocate that your company not only march in a Pride parade, but they work to improve the lives of LGBTQIA+ employees every day of the year.
- Add your pronouns to your email signature. Just seeing that makes your LGBTQIA+ peers feel welcome.
- Work to change your own and your employee’s terminology – in paperwork, give more than two gender options; instead of saying ‘welcome ladies and gentlemen’, say ‘welcome all’.
- Create a LGBTQIA+ and Allies employee resource group. Start out with a virtual lunch or happy hour.
- Understand your employer’s benefits coverage and advocate for equality – do health/bereavement benefits cover same-sex partners? Gender transition related treatment?
This is the first in a series of blog posts ACCP will be sharing in June, recognizing Pride month.